Sailability is a program available at some sailing clubs that offers an additional level of support, an established network of volunteers, and equipment to assist people of all-abilities to get into sailing.
Sailability is a program at some sailing clubs that offers an additional level of support, an established network of volunteers, and equipment to assist people of all-abilities to get into sailing. It is an international program first introduced to Australia in the 1990’s, which has grown to being available in every state.
Here are some of the ways sailing is inclusive:
- Different types of boat provided by clubs including the Access Class that are easy to sail
- Instructors that are able to adapt their teaching methods to suit individuals of all-abilities
- Equipment to assist those with limited mobility to get into and out of boats
- Modified docking areas that are accessible
- Affordable options to participate
- Events for people of all-abilities to compete
- The Sailing Pathway for people of all-abilities to progress through
Each club offering a Sailability program has a Sailability Co-ordinator who is a point of contact for people who want to find out more. The Sailability Co-ordinator oversee a team of volunteers who are passionate about welcoming people of all-abilities to sailing.
In sailing there are options to sail small boats called dinghies or larger ones called keelboats. Each club is different and will offer programs based on their location and resources. Read the Types of Sailing section for information on the different types of Sailing available in Sailability.
Interested in getting involved in the Sailability program? Read the Volunteering page for more information on how volunteers are essential to making the sport accessible to people of all-abilities.
Any donation to Sailability is gratefully accepted to help support the volunteers and participants.
Sailability aims to provide people of all-abilities the opportunity to reach their potential by offering a progressive pathway with incremental levels of achievement in the sport.
Click on the Activity Finder link below to find the club closest to you with a Sailability program.