Tackers is a program that your school can participate in at a local Tackers Club. The Program is designed for children aged 7 to 12 years, run by Yachting Australia qualified instructors and is a non-competitive sailing program based on fun participation.
The Tackers Program has three levels, each 20 hours, delivered as a 5-day intensive or as 8-10 sessions of 2-2.5 hrs. The three levels are: Tackers 1 – Having Fun; Tackers 2 – Tricks & Techniques and Tackers 3 – Sailing Fast! Each student receives a Tackers kit and a Certificate of Achievement after completing a level.
Tackers Clubs also offer Tackers Intro for Schools, which is a three hour introductory program designed to give kids an experience of sailing. At the end of the Program they receive a Certificate of Achievement. The Tackers Intro for Schools is an ideal excursion for schools where kids can combine learning about water safety alongside game-based sailing activities.
Click on your relevant State for a detailed Tackers Schools Brochure.
The Sporting Schools Program is a national initiative, run by the Australian Sports Commission, which aims to help children foster a lifelong interest in sport, gain a healthier mind and body, have fun and learn sport activities and games skills in a safe environment.
Sailing, through the Tackers Program has been selected as one of the 32 participating sports with the program kicking off in July 2015. Activities can be offered either during or after school
The two primary outcomes of the Program are :
- To engage primary school children in sport activities and games.
- To provide opportunities for primary school children to connect with local sporting clubs and programs in their community.
Sporting Schools is open to all Australian primary schools, and Discover Sailing Centres delivering Tackers. You can register to be involved on the Sporting Schools website or contact your local sailing club. Registered schools should nominate a School Sports Coordinator who will be kept informed on developments and new program features. Once registered, Sporting Schools offers:
- access to annual funding to provide up to three terms of sport-based activity for children
- quality online sporting resources and lesson plans
- opportunity for schools to decide when sport activities and games are run — before, during or after school
- connection with the Playing for Lifephilosophy, where children are encouraged to have fun by focusing on ‘skills not drills’
- professional development opportunities for all coaches
- stronger links between children and local sporting clubs
Click on the Activity Finder to search for a Club that offers Tackers.